Thursday, February 14, 2013

The Hobbit

What an unfortunate adventure, again and again narrowly defeated by monsters, captured multiple times by different creatures, luck is not with this group of goblins and the hobbit.

I have heard many stories about the hobbit, and The Lord of the rings, never reading any of the books. References are made all of the time to the characters, their instruments of choice and the adventures they embark in, but they of course never made any sense to me until now. I have to say I'm not sure if I'm impressed, I guess "fantasy" is not necessarily my favorite. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of fantasy, after all I want to be a makeup artist and creature creator, which is technically a fantasy occupation (confusing I know.).

Out of the hobbit, I found many references to society, the different world-views of the characters, and even the growth of the protagonist from common content hobbit to the adventurous strong hobbit.

In terms of the book itself, it was easy to understand ( difficult to keep up with all of the names) and fluid in writing. It is a book I probably should have read in middle school when everyone else did, but I guess I was more of a Harry potter middle schooler.

No comments:

Post a Comment