Thursday, April 11, 2013

Babel17

It never stops to amaze me at how most science-fiction artists seem to so accurately predict the future. Body modifications, sexuality acceptance and intellectual wars, all apart of our lives now, maybe not to the extreme that Babel predicts, but pretty damn close. To think that this was created in the 60's, and then looked at as a great novel surprises me a little. I would imagine people criticizing it for being too over the top, or to difficult to comprehend. I couldn't get into the book as much as I would have liked to, it was difficult to wrap my mind around the idea of a language changing you, but I guess it makes sense in a way. It was intriguing to read the details of the sub-characters and their lives, how intricate they were even just as a added detail about this new world. The author put so much thought into the history and background to make the reader understand the senses overload in this insane world. In terms of Rydra, she is so "three dimensional and very complex. To first get an idea of who this person is before we get into her head is an interesting concept and one that works very well in this situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment